Facts About Plastic Bags
- Many countries throughout Europe have imposed an “eco-tax” on regular plastic bags. Biodegradable plastic bags are exempt from such taxes.
- Regular plastic bags take up to 1,000 years to degrade, and even then don’t ever really dissappear. Oxo-degradable plastic bags disintegrate within 2 years, breaking down into tiny particles which will be eaten by microbes.
- It has been estimated that it costs governments and business over $4 Million per year to clean up littering plastic shopping bags.
- An estimated 300 billion plastic bags, or 1.8 million tons of plastic bags are disposed of in landfill sites throughout the US alone, each year. Such disposal causes instability in the soil and pollutions in the groundwater.
- There are approximately 46,000 pieces of plastic floating in each square mile of our oceans.
- Each year, Americans use 117 billion new plastic bags. If these were all tied together, they would stretch around the world 725 times!
- Americans dump 68,000 plastic bags into landfill every minute. That’s 4,080,000 bags every hour!
- It is estimated that plastic kills 1 million sea birds, 100,000 sea mammals and countless fish each year.
- Turtles, dolphins and killer whales can choke or starve by confusing plastic bags for jellyfish.
See the devastating effects plastic bags have on the environment. Let’s create a better world by adopting the degradable plastic. Learn more about the oxo-degradable plastic bags or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org